Eragon, the saga continues
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Magic: The Gathering discussion/organization area

3 posters

Go down

Magic: The Gathering discussion/organization area Empty Magic: The Gathering discussion/organization area

Post  Taran Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:43 pm

Hey guys. Just to help keep things clean and organized in the story portion of the threads, let's try to keep any questions and such needed to help figure out what we're doing to here (that way we don't have explanations of the multiverse or differences in Mana scattered throughout the stories/plotlines; cause I'm gonna need 'em lol).

To start off, I kind of wanted to do someone who was I guess you could call justice's fury (but not vengeance). I originally thought of a White/Red combo, but after looking at that link Ardith posted, I'm not sure it could go together. So, maybe a White/Green? But I like the picture of Red's violence mixing with White's justice and order. Thoughts?
Taran
Taran
Admin

https://pawns.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Magic: The Gathering discussion/organization area Empty Re: Magic: The Gathering discussion/organization area

Post  Ardith Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:58 pm

After a whole lot of thinking, soul searching and self prostitution I have decided on this request.

I have decided yes. BUT its going to come with a cost. Typically speaking, even though the government in my world has embraced a universalist perspective on magic, the public has not, and old tensions and prejudices are still alive and well. Red and green are typically given the short end of the stick, what with Black, White and Blue being the typically stronger powers in terms of economics and standing forces. And in the lands outside the City, it's like unification never happened. And in some places Mages of any type are considered evil. (the small city states further away from Ignotus.)

Fusion and multi-colored mages are also typically considered vagabonds and are not trusted by the upper classes. (Because of this, most prefer to keep there abilities as such secret. Which also keeps them in the lower castes because only being able to utilize one third (or more) of their powers leaves them at a disadvantage in tests, evaluations and research. Even Blue mages consider having multiple powers a bit of an abomination. because of this they are typically only trusted at all by the colors they have connection to.

So being a multi-colored mage of opposing forces is going to do 3 things to you. One.) Your non primary side is going to hate and mistrust you, and no one else is really going to like or trust you. Your entire reputation HAS to be earned. 2.) you won't have ANY sort of connections or half way houses. (some gangs or cults use multi-colors, but multi-opposing color groups never last for long) and 3.) I expect a lot from your back story to explain it. ^^

*notes* this is all typically, good back story trumps typically.

Ardith
Ardith
Cadet
Cadet

Back to top Go down

Magic: The Gathering discussion/organization area Empty Re: Magic: The Gathering discussion/organization area

Post  Taran Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:08 am

Lol okay. Sounds good. I'll start working on how a Red/White character would come to be. Thanks Smile
Taran
Taran
Admin

Back to top Go down

Magic: The Gathering discussion/organization area Empty And now because its hypocritical for me to just say "this is how it is!"

Post  Ardith Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:23 am

The five gods, and the creation of Ignotus

When Levitha was created it was created with a seam in the center of the plane. A seem where the 5 great leylines connected. These Leylines were the rivers of mana that would spread out across the world. and they are Verus, Vorsutus, Malus, Iratus, and Augmen (listed in mana order. W,U,B,R,G.) On Levitha their are 5 gods, and each has its own faith and interpretation of "Ignotus Relatus" or the story of Ignotus. What they do agree on is that 5 beings came to being before any others on Levitha, each born of one of the 5 rivers. Their names are Bahamut, Havet, Wotan, Pyron, and Vekst. Bahamut and Wotan were like brothers but one day they found they both had fallen in love with Havet, whose beauty was greater even then the sea (to which the blue river quickly flows) at first they decided to compete for her love, but soon they found that it was not enough, and as the days marched on she could not decide between them, and a great war erupted. The God's created many people to fight their war and the twins, Pyron and Vekst were soon entwined in the fighting. After a thousand years Havet convinced the twins to side with her, and they brought the war to a swift and devastating end. Bahamut and Wotan, though beaten, still held great animosity to one another and it is said that they sit each night plotting their vengeance upon each other. However peace was brokered, and the 5 great towers of Ignotus were erected by the Gods themselves as payment to Man for the trials they suffered. Around each tower, cities grew and sensing the unrest that was breeding between the mortals the gods created a new tower, to unify the city.

In the oldest recorded history, Ignotus had peace. But slowly feuds began and wars broke out. Today much has been lost; even the names of the ancient cities has passed into obscurity. This escalated to the point of destruction in the clan war. Which threatened to tear the plane apart. Before ultimate destruction could be unleashed a small band of mages stood up to the great powers and with great effort and trial, brought them to see reason. They were the first grand council and since then Ignotus has declared an end to the old ways, with all scores settled, and debts paid. Peace has not been an easy rode, and various events have threatened the tenuous treaty between the 5 factions.

The 5 cities each have their own ruling bodies, but of cording to Ignotus law, the head of each city must take all lodging at the grand tower. The White City, is constructed of marble and has sweeping palace like architecture. (Think Greeko Roman) The Blue city has very spherical architecture and is constructed of a very corral like material (think semi sci-fi). The Black City has a very skeletal architecture and is made of very dark stone (Isengard). The Red City is constructed of the earth and of stone and its architecture reflects that.(Dwarven Pueblo) The Green City is a huge forested zone. It's like a small town that goes on forever. (Think the Shire....but with HUGE trees everywhere.) Central City (the city surrounding the central tower) Has typical medieval architecture. The spaces in-between still have the remnants of the old wars. Worn highways between tall thick walls with heavy gates and Central city still bares the scars of the old war, but it is quickly healing. All standing military's must contribute 1/3'rd of their recruits to the Central army. The more powerful sectors have been able to bypass this by keeping "Peace Forces" whose purpose is to provide humanitarian aid and protection to the outlying cities and regions. This has kept the balance of power obscured as both the Black and White Cities have armies that could compete with the central army.

You are not millitary or Peace force mages. You have been privately contracted by one of the governing bodies in what you are told is a "Matter of great importance." You have been ferried alone in a carriage with a driver who won't talk to you. and you are meeting in a sector of central that looks mostly abandoned save for beggars and brigands. finally your brought to a stop under a low awning, and instructed to walk through a door and to wait until you are called. After a short time you are called and a female vampire wearing what appears to be a prostitutes outfit calls you. You walk down what looks like a cell line until you get to an empty one. "We are almost ready for you, but we have to wait for some more guests before this can begin." She ignores your questions or attempts to stop her. You look down the line of cells, they are all as dark as your own, so you decide to just wait. After all if this was supposed to be some sort of kidnapping, there are much easier ways to do it. (You can opt to be a member of Central instead.)
Ardith
Ardith
Cadet
Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  Ardith Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:07 am

Also, there is going to be some light sexism in the city, but all mages wear a symbol of their position and will have "tell's" in their behavior as well. Fusion and multi-color mages are sort of hard to keep secret because of their tells. Below are some typical tells as well as the marks of each sect of mage. (you can take liberty with this, and if you don't like what I have for the symbols feel free to ignore me, and the tells are negotiable but you MUST have a tell. ^_^)

White mages: white mages wear Halo's of varrying size and description. They also typically dress very modestly for females, and the males tend to go shirtless or open shirted. They also have a long golden cloth belt that they wear. White Mages are hard to tell, but once a day they MUST either meditate or pray and while they do their Halo glows golden or white (they can, but typically don't like-hate to do so, remove their Halo). Additionally their eyes are known to "glow" lightly in dark places.

Blue mages: Blue mages wear a plain robe, which is typically blue and has white symbols embroidered on the back of it. (A lot like a Jedi's Robe.) Although not a mark of their station, Blue mages are also known to heave around piles of books and scrolls and typically have a smell of dust or Ink about them. Blue Mages, being the closest to pure magic, do not typically have tells of any uniformity but are known to be quirky and often have strange or odd habits.

Black mages: Black's are known to generally prefer their own attire. Which reflects their own wealth and achievements as well as giving them a sense of anonymity (Black mages of the female persuasion will either use their body as an advantage or use a spell to change their appearance (or both)) However the Black's outfit their mages with a black leather coat and a special ring of no magical value, save the difficulty in crafting. (It is crafted seamlessly, and leaves no tool marks.) Black mages are known to be very carnal and even the most reserved among the black has trouble keeping his or her darker desires in check when they are offered (or threatened. Black mages are known to be fiercely possessive. Some have endeavored to say protective, but black mages typically prefer "possessive".) They are also known to be aroused by blood and can be typically vain.

Red Mages: Red's and greens typically do not have special sanctions for their mages (not as much of a problem because sexism is not a problem in their cities.) It is traditional to get a Tattoo, but this is not always the case. Red Mages do have a variety of tell's. Typically severe pyromancy, and have a need to be around and to create fire. (this is varying in degree.) They are also FIERCELY independent, love adventure, and have a fondness for both gold and dragon skin.

Green mages: Green's mages also do not have immediately identifiable marks of mage hood but as part of their tell, they have a tendency to shun clothing as much as possible and they often develop un-natural characteristics (Green hair, animal appendages, tails, etc.) They are also typically either sweet hearted growers or hardened hunters.

In recent years both Red and Green mages have tried to adapt thier own symbols. A read cloak or a cloak of Leaves. However this practice still has not caught on enough to be a true descriptor of either.

Again, these are negotiable/ignorable. If you have a different idea feel perfectly free to go for it.
And Multi-Colored/Fusions will exhibit behavioral tells.

Also, i have left a lot open for you guys to fill in the blanks/help create this world so feel free to pick something to develop/imagine. And if you want something that contradicts what I've put down, just fill me in so i can make it happen.

Ardith
Ardith
Cadet
Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  Ardith Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:21 pm

..... and we are pretty much ready to go. I'm not requiring a formal character sheet, just drop a line and sell your character.
Ardith
Ardith
Cadet
Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  Taran Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:53 am

Well, here's what I've got for my character so far (I'll be developing him a lot more as we go and I get to use him more).

Name: Scipio Arcanus
Genger: Male
Age: 23 (I'm assuming the lifespan/age range is roughly the same as our reality)
Height: 6'2"
Weight: 190
Mana: White (primary) and Red (secondary)
I don't know of any guilds or whatnot that he could belong to, so I won't list any for now (can always add one later, too).
Scipio is considered rather lax in his religious pursuits by his fellow mages in the White City, but he is still far from being a heretic or blasphemer. His Halo glows modestly during the day above his head of thick blond hair, and only slightly more so at night. His eyes glow a faint golden red color in the dark (their normal color is grey), but he tries his best to keep the red aspect hidden (and does not often succeed). Because of his affiliation with Red mana, Scipio has glowing red tattoos that swirl and change shape along both biceps and upper forearms, which he keeps covered by a long-sleeved white shirt that hangs open in the front. He is considered fit, or "in shape," though he is no example of supreme masculinity. For the most part, he is an even-tempered person who speaks calmly to those who try to pressure him. However, because of his affiliation with Red mana, he can quickly become angered by sights of injustice or recklessness in those around him (if you've played Dragon Age 2, think of Anders/Vengeance and their reaction to the Templars, just not as extreme; Scipio uses the fury of justice, not vengeance [I mark a difference lol]). Scipio was born in the White City and was quickly identified as a mage. It wasn't until several years into his studies that his affinity (though modest) with Red mana was discovered by his peers. They were disgusted and shocked to learn that one who uses White mana could also be affiliated with Red mana, so they sent him away, expelling him from their presence and tutorship. After he was expelled, Scipio wandered the areas surrounding the White City, looking for some way to reconcile his differing magic attributes. He found the solution in a fellow wanderer, an old woman from Red City, who had sought to find some semblance of peace in her strong connection to Red mana. Her solution was to meld the two manas, to bring them into balance, to learn to use one to enhance the other. So, Scipio began to harness his Red mana abilities to help uphold justice. He never did return to formal studies in magic, but kept to a life of wandering, sticking mainly to outlying towns and villages, helping where he could. He tried to keep to the traditions of both manas, donning the attire of a White mana mage while bearing the marks of a Red mana wielder. Unfortunately for Scipio, as he used his Red mana to support and enhance his White, he discovered a special taste for fire and spontaneous combustion. Though he has control over himself, he is fascinated by fire and everything about, from it's heat and life-giving properties, to it's pain and destructive applications.

So, how is that for a brief runover of my dude?
Taran
Taran
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ardith Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:55 pm

That is perfect! I'm 100% glad I decided to allow opposing mana now. ^_^

its an awesome character and It's gonna be fun interacting with him.
Ardith
Ardith
Cadet
Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  Ardith Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:29 pm

It is a late night and Scipio sits deep in a forest at an ancient shrine. He hears the trod of a horse in the distance, and it slowly draws closer. After some time Scipio stands and waits, this forest is mostly empty, so it is quite unlikely that the horse and its rider are headed anywhere but this decrepit shrine of Bahamut.

After a time the rider can be seen in the dim light of the solitary torch he carries. As if he senses your gaze he stops and in the shadows you can see his head raise to meet your gaze. He holds for a moment, his horse restless in the dark night of the forest. And then he continues his journey. As he gets closer you make out his form more clearly. A Messenger, bearing the crest of central (5 stars surrounding the Sun, each star colored to represent one of the great cities), he stops just inside the firelight, "sorry gov' I had a hard time finding the place. I meant to come upon you just before dusk, but I'm not used to these forest roads. Now where did that go..." He digs in his messenger bag for a moment before pulling out a scroll and a piece of parchment. He unrolls the scroll and after clearing his throat he proceeds to read from it...

"To the Esteemed Master Scipio Arcanus. The agency of Central (apologies but our branch must remain anonymous in case this message is intercepted) has heard and seen much of your honorable deeds. And after gathering much information on your character and abillity as possible we have deemed you a worthy candidate for a commission. The exact terms and conditions of your contract can not be disclosed here however we can say that it will be working with powers, much like yourself, that are unknown, unique, and potentially dangerous. The rewards will include gold, property, and rank should you complete your contract. We understand your difficulties in traveling to central, and as a show of our sincerity, we are sending with this message a voucher promising any driver of a carriage payment for your safe delivery to Central."

Clearing his throat again the messenger carefully closes the scroll. "I was given additional instructions to tell ya that this is a matter of the utmost importance. As if hiring a messenger to ride post haste all the way out here wasn't obvious enough that it was important."

The messenger dismounts and hands you the scroll and the voucher. "Well Gov' I got me a nice 3 day holiday and a nice room at an inn in that lil village back there. So If you don't mind, I'll be heading back for a pint. Feel free to come along, though I hear it told that you white mages aren't much for drink."
Ardith
Ardith
Cadet
Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  Ardith Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:34 pm

BTB, I am going to be copying all of my story posts over to a new thread.
Ardith
Ardith
Cadet
Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  Ardith Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:49 pm

To answer your question, yes.

Mages tend to live a good bit longer. Averaging an additional 20 to 30 years on average. They also retain their youth longer (looking youthful till 40 or 50) after their youth fades they quickly develop more significant physical tells. These tells are unique to each individual, but there are some common themes.

White mages develop thick, lion like manes, or they will grow prehensile wings. Some have managed to fly or glide with them.

Blue mages, are often disfigured from some sort of accident or explosion, but they tend to also develop fish like quallities.

Black mages have occasionally sprouted demonic features. A tail seems to be a common tell.

Red mages are known to light on fire later in their careers.

Green mages start early (early tells like these aren't unheard of in other mage categories, but it is most common in green) Some green mages don't develop significant aging tells, but others become completely animalistic.

Ardith
Ardith
Cadet
Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  Ardith Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:15 pm

Name: Ardith Drakur
Genger: Male
Height: 6'2"
Weight: 215
Mana: Black primary, and Red Secondary. (Ardith and scipio are going to have an interesting dynamic I think. @@)

Ardith is the 3rd child in his house, House Drakur. It had long been rumored that he infact died in a childhood accident, however his Mother, (his father recently deceased at the time) Morrigan, had in fact fabricated the rumor and sent him instead into reclusion where he was trained by the house tutor in the art of black magic, and another tutor was hired to teach him in the art of red magic. Morrigan looks at her son as an asset to the family best left hidden until a time of need. and that time of need came near his 20th birthday. House Drakur was challenged by an opposing house. Had the house lost they would have lost all their votes in the senate as well as significant holdings. These matters are normally settled by combat. A father and a son against another father and son team. With Ardith's rumored death house Chandrel thought House Drakkur to be ripe for the taking, having only one Male heir, and women being bared from these affairs. Ardith fought spectacularly, having been trained in his fathers power of psycho-reactive magic (Spells that attack the mind and induce nightmares) however the fight wound down and soon Ardith was forced to fight without his brother to defend him. Cornered, he raised his hand against his foe, "Your little tricks wont save you from my spear!" and Ardith replied, "No, but lightning will." And he unleashed a powerful bolt of lightning that tore the flesh from his opponent as it ripped through the air. His father having fallen, the Chandrel son turned his anger to Ardith, Ardith unleashed a second blast, but this time the opponent began screaming before the bolt had left Ardith's hands. The son survived, badly injured, and complaining of nightmares. While his house had been defended, he himself had been disqualified by the Laws of the Black City. Ardith is now exempt from inheriting any of his Drakur Ancestral property, any of the property of the Chandrel's or any of the wealth of his family. Morrigan had foreseen this possibility and had set aside a modest fortune and property for her son before the match. In the three years after the match Ardith has returned to seclusion in his small villa in the undercity (a city dug beneath the Black city. His home is tucked away in a small corner of the under city. it has a beautiful pond infront of it, which Ardith has been known to swim in on occasion. He typically wears a dragonskin coat, modeled after the standard coat of black mages. He has his fathers ring, and he is known to smoke a pipe
Ardith
Ardith
Cadet
Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  Ardith Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:20 pm

btb, feel free to write your own intro, I just did it an an exercise and to get a feel for the character/get the ball rolling.
Ardith
Ardith
Cadet
Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  Taran Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:51 pm

Sweet. Glad you liked my character lol.
Taran
Taran
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  dncrgurl Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:05 am

Ok so I haven't really fully developed my character, but I think she will be a strictly Green Mage, that way I can connect with you both in some way. Part of Ardith obviously won't like me at all because of the black, and Barzed's character will got along with me fairly well.

Either that or I'm going to have a character with a split personality that does black and green.
dncrgurl
dncrgurl
Master
Master

Back to top Go down

Post  Ardith Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:41 am

whatever you want is gonna be awesome!

Still looking for other players though. Havn't heard back from my Buddy Jono, and james seems to be happy with the other group. I think I am about out of options. There is one guy I havn't asked, but I only know him vaguely... BUT I think he will be good for it if he plays. And actually I'm only token looking, because i think the 3 of us will do fine.
Ardith
Ardith
Cadet
Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  Taran Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:17 am

I've also got a friend who may join us, but her schedule is usually pretty busy. I haven't asked her yet, but I'm sure she'd say yes (but I don't know how often she'd be able to actually post).
Taran
Taran
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ardith Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:56 am

thats not a problem. One thing I have made a vow to avoid is rushing people. i had to do that with DnD and I didn't like it AT ALL.
Ardith
Ardith
Cadet
Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  Ardith Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:05 am

Artifacts!

You can have a small artifact. It can not do repetitive damage (No isochron Scepter Madness here. @@)

You have the option of crafting your own.

The Artifact I have in mind for my character is his pipe. (Look at me using pre-established traits and expanding on them.)

It taps, essentially. And he blows a distracting cloud of smoke. Nothing to big but big/thick/black enough to protect himself (or a creature) from an opposing spell or distract another mage or creature so they can't attack him.

And no, he doesn't actually have to have his pipe lit to do this, it's a natural function of it. and yes this is the same pipe he uses to smoke with which he will use t annoy all of your characters. ^_^ (It's a relic of House Drakur. One of the things his mother secreted away for him before his expulsion.)
Ardith
Ardith
Cadet
Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  Taran Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:23 pm

Sweet. I think I'll use Scipio's staff (though I'm not sure what it'll do yet).

And I thought I'd let you know, I found a Red/White deck at Target the other day lol
Taran
Taran
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ardith Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:32 pm

Yeah, magic has a lot of those sorts of things. No idea why, but its all cool for me.

Even though IT IS official Wizards of the Coast lore, let's just call it an element of my worlds factions. Also james actually might be a yes. ^_^
Ardith
Ardith
Cadet
Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  Ardith Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:29 am

soo..... yup. Everything is pretty much ready to go.
Ardith
Ardith
Cadet
Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down