Eragon, the saga continues
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Magic System for TOW

Go down

Magic System for TOW Empty Magic System for TOW

Post  Taran Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:08 pm

Well, here is the magic system for the TOW threads, at the moment only "Light" (the ones based on my world; any others may have their own system of course). Keep in mind this very simple mantra: You cannot create, only manipulate (yes, I know it's corny, but it helps to understand the system).

There are several basic elements: Water, Air, Earth, Fire, Wood, and Light. Each element has different properties and abilities (Water can be turned into ice, ice into water, water into steam, and so forth) that can be manipulated for different effects (if you can control Wood, you can control all plant life [to a degree]). Each element has it's own affiliation, which will be listed below.

Water: More affiliated with healing than the other elements. Also has offensive abilities (such as manipulating the water in an enemy's body).

Air: Affiliated with weight and breathing (without air, you can't breathe, right?). Can be used to levitate small objects (small rocks, weapons, clothing, etc.), restrict an opponent's breathing, fly, etc. Use your imagination, but keep it reasonable.

Earth: Affiliated with strength and solidity. It can be used to enhance strength. Earth can be thrown or moved (but moving a lot of dirt is difficult; a lot of dirt = heavy).

Fire: My personal favorite, Fire is affiliated with Energy. Fire can be extrapolated to Energy (just as Water can to ice). What else is Energy? Lightning, heat, etc. A person wielding Fire can use heat/energy/fire to create a physical flame, or raw force (it is different than using Air to push or control as Energy/Fire cannot sustain itself past one immediate use). Sap Energy from an opponent, then blast him/her off a cliff. Summon lightning. Use your imagination, but, again, keep it reasonable and logical.

Wood: Affiliated with growth and life. Water, combined with the life qualities of Wood, can help sustain life and heal. Wood users can also manipulate plant life (trees, bushes, ect.) into creating a "hideout" that can only be opened by the creator (however, someone else can blast his/her way in).

Light: Affiliated with sight. Use light to illuminate a dark tunnel, cloak yourself in shadows, blind opponents, etc. You can't become invisible, but you can APPEAR to be invisible.

Keep in mind with all these elements that there is an opposite. Light/Darkness, Fire(heat)/Cold(lack of heat/energy), Wood(life)/Rot(death), etc. I like to keep the system as open as I can, to allow the people using it the ability to "make it their own" by letting them come up with their own applications. However, I have run into the problem with people completely ignoring any and all rules I set up here. You can't create anything from nothing (no manipulating a creature into something else, or turning anything into something different). The basics of what you need for what you plan to do (to start a fire, you need a heat source at the very least) must be present for it to happen. If you are unsure about something (you want to do X but aren't sure if you can), let me know and we can talk about it and work it out. I'm pretty open to what you want to do.

To use the magic, the Mage must have the proper mental focus and strength (some people will be better at Fire, others at Wood, etc.). So, I'd suggest choosing a single element that your character excels at, then maybe a couple others that s/he is acceptable at, and so on (expertise in no more than two elements, please).

Again, if you have any questions, let me know Smile
Taran
Taran
Admin

https://pawns.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down