Eragon, the saga continues
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Background for TOW

Go down

Background for TOW Empty Background for TOW

Post  Taran Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:43 pm

I thought I'd make a quick background for the TOW threads. As of right now, there is only one, which is based on a magic system I've been developing for a few books I've been working on (I'll create a separate thread/topic for the magic system rules later). Right now in the "Light" thread there hasn't been much happening, but here's the basic background on the world and scenario:

It's a magical world (obviously), with many factions within the different sentient races (humans, Azureans [shapeshifters; more on them later], Elves [they are the ancestors of the humans and carry a bit of angst against them], and other cannon races [minotaurs, dragons, goblins, orcs, trolls, etc.]). The humans are the dominant race, ruling over the majority of the world and slowly consuming the lands that they don't already control. The Elves are mostly thought of as myth and folk legend, but they do exist in the far reaches of the world. They tend to keep to themselves, though some have been known to wander the world of the humans, disguised to keep from being hunted or persecuted for their heritage and differences (lifespan, appearance, strength, etc.). Elves tend to be the same height as humans, though they are more thin, and have hair and eyes as diverse as humans', but their skin tone is usually more pale. The Azureans are the main "enemies" of the humans. The shapeshifters are a strong people, often associated with old human nomadic tribes, and live with a "wolf pack" societal structure (Alpha Male and Alpha Female in command, regardless of parentage). Their ability to summon weapons and clothing from nothing but air is unique to their race (this ability stems from their nature; their race was born of magic, so they have different uses for it). They can change into any shape they chose; however, the Azurean must study the animal extensively that s/he wishes to shift into (and with the rule of conservation of mass, an Azurean shifting into a mouse would make for a very large rodent). Azureans have a lifespan equal to five times that of a human, but they do die of old age and disease can kill them as easily as it does a human. The very old Azureans are capable of shifting into multiple forms. In human form, the Azureans are distinguishable from humans because of the quality of their eyes (which remain the same regardless of the form the Azurean is in). The Azureans are natural predators, and as such possess a certain bearing around humans that is quite noticeable (a human can look into an Azurean's eyes and see the predator within).

Currently, the human empire, Goldzen, has invaded the land of the Azureans (Azure) and reduced their people to little more than wandering tribes. The elven queen watches patiently, waiting for her moment to strike. The leader of the old Azurean empire, Drachi, has been reduced to a tribal leader, though he does not bear resentment or anger to all the humans, only those responsible for the downfall of his people. The human emperor is oblivious to the plight of the Azureans, and would not care even if he did know. There is a bitter struggle between the Azureans and the human settlers who have come into their land. Some settlers live peaceably with the Azureans, even welcome them into their homes or marry them. But there is also the other end of the spectrum; many settlers will kill or maim Azureans on sight. The same is also true on the side of the Azureans: some wish to exterminate all humans, while others simply wish to coexist.

Well, there is a brief background on the world I'm developing. If you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask (it would actually help me develop the world better).
Taran
Taran
Admin

https://pawns.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum