Eragon, the saga continues
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The World Between Worlds

3 posters

Go down

The World Between Worlds Empty The World Between Worlds

Post  Taran Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:39 pm

Aiden sat on a rotten tree stump, looking out at the gray sky of that strange world. All the colors seemed muted, as if there was some kind of shade pulled over his eyes and mind. He looked around himself at Maeve and Maya, both staring out at the world. Maeve seemed to be in a some kind of stupor, her thoughts adrift on the currents of time. Maya seemed to be actively searching for something, her eyes turning every direction. He thought it curious how the world seemed to slow drastically. They could still see the sun rising and setting in the real world, yet it moved slowly, as if something were holding it back. Aiden let out a sigh as he stood and stretched his back, checking his sword in its scabbard.
"Well," he said, turning towards Maya. "Where should be begin?"
Taran
Taran
Admin

https://pawns.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

The World Between Worlds Empty Re: The World Between Worlds

Post  Mica Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:54 pm

Maya took in a deep breath as she surveyed the area. This world mirrored the one they just left though the inhabitants where different. Some more dangerous and deadly. She pointed towards some ruins that in there world would have been the academy, then to the direction of a cliff on the other side of the forest. “There. We need to start there. He would have gone toward the source of the disturbance.” She seemed lost in thought though she was reaching out her senses. “The rip is on an island off of the coast. It is growing. He would have gone to the disturbance.” She turned to look at the others. “Shall we?” she asked motioning to them.

A great shriek came from above them as the light seemed to fade. “Demonkin!” she shouted as the threat from the sky loomed closer. They had been found.
Mica
Mica
Cadet
Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  dncrgurl Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:57 am

Maeve gazed out of the portal as she saw Taran slowly turn his back on them and walk away. His movements were slowed, as if he were walking through water; she saw each hair rustle in the breeze, each suspended in time. She turned away from his slowly moving form as Maya cried out. Quickly pulling her twin blades free, she took a defensive stance next to Maya, eyes towards the skies.

This place seemed familiar, yet it was strange. The strange colors, the exotic smells, the alien sounds, all were strange yet beautiful to her. A shadow flew over the small group, and Aiden stepped slightly closer to her. "Maya, what kind of creatures have found us? How are we to fight them? Any information that you can give us would be helpful." She twirled her left blade in anticipation of the fight. She only hoped that her sparring with Taran would pay off.

Hazel blinked her huge golden eyes as the sun rose overhead, the heat warming her fur. Looking over her shoulder, she eyed her companion and flicked his nose with her tail. "Ruiad," she purred, "It's time to get up my friend." Ruaid slowly raised his head and looked up at the smiling face before him. "I see you are as beautiful as always," he grinned back.
"Have you come up with an answer to my riddle my friend?"
"And why in the Guardian's name would I want to find the answer," he said ruefully.
"Well I guess you are stuck with me until you finally come to your senses," she replied as she pranced around her friend.
Ruaid smiled back at his beautiful companion, and pulled out his pan flute. "Shall I play you a song my dear one?"
"Please do my hooved friend."
He smiled ever wider, as he ran his hand through his hair and around the two small horns that grew from his skull. "Then a merry tune it shall be," and he began to play for his beautiful captor.
dncrgurl
dncrgurl
Master
Master

Back to top Go down

Post  Taran Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:03 pm

Aiden watched the form flying high above him, the shadow approaching ever close.
"Maya?" he asked, his sword at the ready as he stood in a crouch. He banished the strange smells and sounds, focusing on the fight he knew would be coming. "I agree with Maeve. Any advice or help would be great. You know more about this place than either of us."
Taran
Taran
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mica Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:01 pm

Maya looked at the form in the sky then to the others. “This world is made up of demonkin and other “beings”. I’m not sure what I can tell you except that they are powerful and beautiful in their diversity.” She raised a hand to shield her eyes. “Do try not to hurt them. Not all in this world is as it appears. You will do well to remember that.”
Mica
Mica
Cadet
Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  dncrgurl Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:59 pm

Maeve still stood ready for battle, not knowing wether or not they were in any real danger. She would not take any chances here, she had to protect herself and the others so they could all return safely to their loved ones, so she could see Taran again.
"Maya, I will not let anything harm you, but I am uneasy with those creatures around us. I suggest that we find cover somewhere and make a plan. I do not like being here in the open."
She twirled her crimson sword in her hand and waited to hear what Aiden and Maya had to say.
The demonkin were steadily getting closer.
dncrgurl
dncrgurl
Master
Master

Back to top Go down

Post  Taran Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:53 pm

Aiden frowns at Maya's vague and useless words.
"That's not much help, Maya," he said, keeping a tight grip on his sword. "So, the shadows may attack us but some vicious creature might not? Thanks for the advice. You've been here before, we haven't. You are going to have to lead us and keep us safe. I can't walk around here and know what to do or where to go. That is why you are here. So you need to start acting like a leader. Rise to your position, Maya."
Taran
Taran
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mica Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:13 pm

Maya heaved a sigh as she lowered her hand from shielding her eyes. She surveyed the area around them then closed her eyes. As she stood in the open beneath the winged creatures circling above, she reached out from within her. The breeze picked up around them becoming cooler as it increased in strength. Her body remained relaxed and she stood serenely searching for the horned god. After a few minutes the winds began to warm and her eyes opened. She turned toward ruins in the West.

"There," she said pointing. "We will find sanctuary there and a clue to the next part of our quest. As for the demonkin, just as not all men are inherently good or evil, the same is true of the demonkin. You will understand once we have found the horned god. Our friends above may be good or they may be evil. You will have to judge for yourselves. How would you judge the intent or nature of a being in your world? Would you attack simply because of the image portrayed to you?"

She turned to the two with a whimsical look on her face just as a red mist began to gather at her feet. As she looked down, the smile left her. She grew still as the mist quickly wrapped up around her then came to rest upon her shoulders in the form of a red ferret with golden eyes. The ferret bared its teeth as it looked over Aiden and Maeve hissing as it coiled tighter around Maya’s neck.

Maya held up a hand to the two to halt them before they moved. She reached up, grabbing the demonkin ferret by the scruff of the neck as a silver thread wrapped around its neck fashioning a leash.

“Kiel! Now that is no way to act around friends.” She broke into a smile again as she gathered Kiel to her chest stroking him gently. “Forgive my friend here but he has been a protector for quite a long time. He did not know that you were friends. To him, with your swords drawn, you look like an enemy.”

Maya let the ferret down and followed it closer to Aiden and Maeve. She laughed as Kiel approached Aiden cautiously sniffing warily at his feet and sneezing before scampering over to Maeve. Kiel began chattering wildly as he twisted between the elf’s feet quickly then scurried up her armor settling on her shoulder. The silver leash vanished and in its stead was a glowing silver collar. His whiskers twitched excitedly as he sniffed her neck.

“I think he likes you Maeve.” Maya said as she turned and motioned them toward the ruins. She walked briskly over the terrain pausing briefly to touch the dilapidated frame of the doorway. She pressed her hand to the series of ruins etched into the wall then stepped back. The vision of the ruins drifted away and in its place now stood a brilliant silver domed fortress. She turned back toward Maeve and Aiden.

“The creatures flying above…commit the feel and smell of them to memory. You were right. They are foe but they are watchers. The winged soldiers are much larger. Now hurry before the others arrive.”

She stepped into the silver fortress and made her way to an interior chamber with a golden fire burning in its center. The chamber was furnished as if someone had lived there. She made her way to the fire and gazed deeply into the flames.

“Show me,” she said as she waved a hand over the fire. The flames roared to life as she watched the horned god.

“Maya my love. If you are here now then it means my attempt to seal the rift was unsuccessful. I feared that the forces from the other world wrenching at the gateway have weakened it more than we first thought. I go to the Cavern of Demons in the heart of the Castillion plains. I fear our children are planning to overrun the beings of the physical world through some misguided mortals attempt to bind them to their will.”

The fire settled and tears filled her eyes. “This is bad. Very bad.”
Mica
Mica
Cadet
Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  dncrgurl Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:21 am

Maeve giggled as the small creature scampered across her feet and climbed onto her shoulder, much as Onni used to do. Her smiled wavered for a second, and then she stroked Kiel's head. She hurried after Maya as she lead them away from the open area, and into a mighty fortress, Kiel chatting away on her neck.

The castle was beautiful, and had many ancient runes, that Maeve had only seen on the boxes that the minotaur and the red monster had left behind. There were many tapestries and sculptures lining the halls filled with beautiful and strange creatures that must inhabit this land. Kiel had grown quiet as they followed Maya into what looked like living quarters for the master of the house. She scratched Kiel's head again, grateful for the companionship. She stood next to Aiden as Maya received a message from the fire. The persona that spoke to Maya from the fire was alien to Maeve, but beautiful nonetheless. His booming voice filled the room, and rooted her where she stood, even Kiel stopped twitching.

Maya turned to them after the message had been completed and Maeve saw the tears in her eyes. Kiel quickly scampered down to comfort his mistress and Maeve followed suit, putting her arm around the beautiful woman. She didn't know what to say, so she just stayed there to comfort Maya.

Something deep within her stirred, and she felt something different. What is this? she wondered. The feeling started in her belly, and wound it's way up to her heart. It was strange and beautiful, strong yet gentle. She gently touched her stomach and her eyes widened.
dncrgurl
dncrgurl
Master
Master

Back to top Go down

Post  Taran Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:44 pm

Aiden watched in awe as they received the message. He could not help but wonder exactly what it meant. The true meaning escaped him. And though he could not truly understand the message, he could see the pain and sorrow in Maya's eyes. He walked slowly towards her and knelt before her. Looking up into her deep, ageless eyes, Aiden offered her a smile.
"I am here, milady," he told her. "I offer you what skills and knowledge I have, but you already know that. Don't despair, Maya. We are here, and we will not give up." Standing, he turned from her and exited the enclosure.

Outside, the sun, if that is what it can be called, was shining brightly in the pale sky. Aiden shielded his eyes from the glare. A large shadow blocked the light overhead as Aiden stood there, thinking about Aethelwyne and Taran and the many challenges they would face without him. The shadow brought his senses back to the world around him. A loud thud quickly followed the shadow, stirring up much dirt and grass. Instinctively, Aiden drew his sword and stood at the ready.

From the dirt and grass floating in the air, a large shape emerged. The creature, taller than a human and as thick as a horse, came walking forward. Muscles bulged on the large animal, covered with thick black fur and leathery skin. Aiden stood with his mouth open as the creature approached. Its feet were sharp claws, one larger than the rest. Its hands were a collection of thick fingers and opposable thumbs. Silver eyes glowed from beneath a large brow covered with thick fur.

"Welcome," it said in a deep voice. Aiden lowered his weapon, but his senses were still sharp.
"Who are you?" Aiden asked.
"My name, Aiden, is Lanthes, and I am here to serve you."
Taran
Taran
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mica Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:03 pm

Maya lowered her head as Maeve comforted her and Aiden spoke. She watched as he left them to venture outdoors, a smile lying softly upon her lips. They were the ones. She was sure of it. She felt a change in the way Maeve held herself and a brief surge as Maeve laid a hand gently on her stomach.

“Maeve…” Maya let her voice trail off as she turned to face the woman. She started to say something when she felt a presence. “Something is here.” She said as she turned toward the direction Aiden went.
Mica
Mica
Cadet
Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  dncrgurl Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:27 pm

Slowly rising, Maeve followed Maya to where Aiden was standing. Any feelings of delight that she had suddenly vanished when she saw the large creature standing before Aiden. Her hand went instinctively for her sword and she moved to get in front of Maya. "Milady, what is that creature there?"
dncrgurl
dncrgurl
Master
Master

Back to top Go down

Post  Taran Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:37 am

Aiden stumbled over his words. who was this creature? WHAT was this creature? he thought as he looked Lanthes up and down.
"A pleasure to meet you?" Aiden said, unsure of the situation. "Pardon my asking, Lanthes, but who, or what, are you? I'm not from this world, as I'm sure you know. So many things are new and strange to me."

"I am what I am," Lanthes said in his rolling speech, clenching and relaxing his massive clawed hands casually. "I have been sent to keep watch over you, former dragon rider. My master would not like to see you hurt. You and your friends here are the key to defeating his enemy. This world, like yours, is full of rivaling factions and persons." The creature walked around as he spoke, gesturing with each point. "I am to keep you safe. That is all. I cannot guide you or tell you things that may help you. I have spoken in a language that forbids me to go against that oath, much like your Ancient Language. I tell you that now so you will not try to extract information from me later on."
Lanthes looked around until his eyes settled on Maeve. He walked slowly and cautiously towards her, the knelt before her. Inclining his head, Lanthes placed a soft hand on her stomach. "May you be strong, young one, and may you live up to your father and mother's courage and name."

Aiden frowned and stood next to Maeve, looking down at Lanthes.
"What do you mean? She is strong and courageous already, Lanthes. Why do you act so strangely?"

"I was not talking to this woman, Aiden."
Taran
Taran
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mica Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:08 pm

Maya looked from Lanthes to Aiden and finally to Maeve. She closed her eyes, a smile gently tugging at her lips. She said nothing for this was not hers to tell. She felt her heart skip as Lanthes spoke.

“Who is it that you call Master my child?”

Maya looked at Lanthes, her head slightly tipped as she studied him. Her eyes lit in wonder and fascination as she felt a connection with the “beast”.

“Lanthes, do you know who I am?” she asked softly.
Mica
Mica
Cadet
Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  dncrgurl Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:31 pm

She almost drew back when the beast approached her and placed it's big hand on her stomach. She could feel the heat from his skin through her clothes as if she were naked. It was unnerving.

The nervousness evaporated when when he blessed her child. She stared at him with wide eyes, How could he tell? She gently placed her hand on his, stroking the soft fur. A smile gently touched her lips as she whispered, "Thank you." She quickly turned her smile to Aiden and threw her arms over his shoulders, embracing him.
"Aiden," she whispered in his ear, "I'm pregnant with Taran's child."
dncrgurl
dncrgurl
Master
Master

Back to top Go down

Post  Taran Sun May 02, 2010 3:33 pm

Lathens stared at the second woman for a moment, studying her face and her soul. She was a mysterious creature to him. Yet familiar.
"I do not know, Maya," he said, taking a step closer and sniffing her. "But you do seem familiar. Your scent is . . . rare. I've only tasted it once before. Though that was a long time ago. Perhaps you know him or he knows you. I wish I could take you to him, but I lost his trail a long time ago." He stood up straight, his height now towering above them. His body shifted, the muscles tensing and relaxing with the movement. Cords of thick muscle twisted and writhed beneath his skin and fur, as if he contained more than one being. "I cannot speak lightly of my Master, Lady Maya. I cannot know his name, only his sense. I have never been able to see him, only feel him. His power is immense, but even he is not the absolute ruler of this land. Tread softly, mortals, or you may find those who can blink your existence away."

Aiden smiled at Maeve and held her tight.
"I'm happy for you both," he said. "Have you told Taran yet? I don't know how he would take it."
Taran
Taran
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mica Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:06 pm

Maya closed her eyes as she listened to the cadence of Lathens’ voice. Tears flowed softly down her cheek as he spoke of her love. As the tears fell to the ground, thick clouds gathered in the gray sky darkening it until it seemed as if night had fallen. Kiel scampered quickly to take cover beneath Lathens. Maya’s heart felt like it was breaking. Her love was gone. She had been away so long that her children no longer recognized her as more than a faint echo. She felt lost, like a ship adrift.

A low roar began to sound growing in intensity. As the sound grew, the earth began to shake. Fissures began to appear within the surface as the world reacted to the emotions of Maya. Her voice rose to carry out on the rising winds.

“This is all my fault!”

Maya sank onto her knees, head hanging low. She thought of Aiden and his love left behind. She thought of Maeve and the life growing within her. She thought of Taran and the dragons. In a barely spoken whisper she pleaded with the winds.

“Please, please give me a sign. Anything. Let me know that all is not lost. Tell me. Are we too late?”
Mica
Mica
Cadet
Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  Taran Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:46 pm

Aiden's body reacted without his command, his knees bending and absorbing the sudden shaking in the earth. He could tell that things were amiss, that something was wrong in the world. He could feel it. Rocks tumbled down hills, trees and grasses were whipped in the wind, and even waters were tossed through the air.
"Lanthes? What's going on?"
"It must be . . . " The big creature dropped to its knees and bowed its head towards Maya. "Milady, please forgive your servant. I had not known until this."
Standing, Lanthes arched his back and let out a bellow into the wind. At first, the roar was absorbed by the tumultuous winds, but it slowly and steadily grew louder and louder. Soon, it began to feel deafening, pounding against the insides of Aiden's skull. The winds calmed and the rumbling earth stilled. Silence reigned.
A single piercing ray of light shone down upon Maya. Aiden thought it would be perfect if there was music and chanting to complete the picture. Around, animals peered, their heads bowed but their eyes curious. The faint trembling Aiden had felt in the magical currents of the place seemed to still themselves. The world seemed more at peace; or maybe just hopeful.
Taran
Taran
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mica Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:12 am

Maya felt the force of Lanthes upon the world around them. She raised her face into the ray of light illuminating the tears that fell from her eyes. One by one the tears fell to the ground below gaining hold into the earth itself. Rising from the floor, sprouted from the hope in her soul, grew many flowers of a single variety. Unseen before in this world the flowers grew in abundance. Six delicate white petals tipped with a beautiful shade of green at their base flowing from a golden-fingered center. Star shaped symbols of hope for the future. Maya turned her head taking in all of those who had gathered round. She raised a hand to her heart as she turned to Lanthes. Deep love emanated from within her spreading out, trying to touch and embrace everything in its path.

“No Lanthes. Not my servant… my children.”

She reached a hand out to him as she looked deeply into his eyes. Within their depths the story of a great love between that thought to be demon and that perceived as angel shone, a uniting of souls so powerful that from the union sprang life. A world was born from the power of love.

The ray of light widened until it encompassed all standing round and above them appeared a rainbow of jeweled tones. Greens, golds, reds, and blues lit up the sky. Maya’s smile formed slowly as she took in a breath. The Horned God, her soulmate, responded in sign.
Mica
Mica
Cadet
Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  dncrgurl Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:34 pm

Maeve smiled at Aiden and placed her head on his shoulder. "I've only just found out, I have no way of telling him. I just know, we must get out of this place alive now. I have more than my own life to fight for now."

Suddenly, the ground began to shake, and she held onto Aiden for support, "What's going on?"
And then, as suddenly as everything had started, it stopped and the land was quiet and peaceful. She still held onto Aiden as they walked closer to Maya. She seemed to glow in the rays of light that enveloped her, the image was beautiful.
dncrgurl
dncrgurl
Master
Master

Back to top Go down

Post  Taran Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:38 pm

Aiden stood speechless at the beauty he saw before him, a mortal in the the presence of something far more wondrous. The animals around them all bowed their heads, showing reverence and respect.
"My. . . mother," Lanthes said, looking at Maya with love and centuries worth of longing. "We've missed you."
Taran
Taran
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum